Tuesday, June 29, 2004

it's diana's turn

Diana DeGarmo's single CD, Dreams, plus I Believe and Don't Cry Out Loud is being released today.  So we'll see soon how the American Idol and the American runner-up fare in CD sales.

Diana's CD is currently #27 on the best-selling list at Amazon.com, where this CD is, of course, available.  It is also available, as is Fantasia's, in an exclusive download offer from Walmart.com, where you can purchase all three songs separately for $.88 each.

Time will tell where Diana's single will fall on the charts, but Fantasia's release of I Believe, with Summertime and Chain of Fools, debuted at #14 on Billboard.

If you're interested, here's what I did.  I downloaded Diana's Don't Cry Out Loud.  Out of the six songs, it's the only one I really liked and didn't have. 

I just don't like Dreams.  And I'm not a big fan of I Believe -- either version.  And I figured I will hear more than enough of both songs at the supermarket.  I have Fantasia's Chain of Fools; it's the song she recorded on the AI3 Soul Classics CD.  I heard enough of Summertime, plus I have it on VHS.  I loved Melissa Manchester's version of Cry so much that I have it on 45 (for those of you who do not understand what that is, ask your parents), and I have it again on CD.  Diana worked with Melissa in the studio on this recording, so I was interested in hearing what effect that had on the song.

If you buy it, expecting a redux of her AI3 performance, you'll either be disappointed or thrilled.  It is different.  First, of course, it's the full version, not the abbreviated version she had to sing on the show.  Manchester's imput is obvious in the vocals, and Diana shows much more depth in this performance than I've heard from her so far.  The instrumentation is virtually identical to Manchester's recording. It was worth the $.88 ($.94 with tax), but I'm not sure how often I'll listen to it.

and don't forget to visit me here

 

No comments: