Thursday, May 20, 2004

idol machine keeps on churning...

These FOX network big people really do know (or think they know) how to milk this American Idol cash cow for all it's worth.  How long will it be before we have an American Idol network?  All Idol All The Time! 

Monday night was the final three spotlight show.  Tuesday the performances and Wednesday the results.  Okay, no surprises there.  They did the same thing last year.  But, despite what's listed in the TV Guide or other such viewing publications, there's more Idol this week!  Yippee!!  Oh Boy!!  Grab the kids.  Grab the dog.  It's Party Time.

Tonight there is two more hours of Idol.  At 8 p.m. FOX will rebroadcast the New York auditions, where Fantasia was discovered.  And, if I remember those auditions correctly, we were also introducted to Scooter Girl, Scat Girl and Army Girl, among others.  I really never did understand what people saw in Scooter Girl, but I thought Martha, a-k-a Army Girl, was a hoot.  Scat Girl was just plain scary.  I think I'll have to pee during Route 66.

UPDATEThe American Idol website indicated that the repeat would be the New York auditions.  The episode is from the Atlanta audition.  That's okay.  But they showed Scat Girl anyway.  But they gave us Amy so it's all good.  Now, who knows what the next episode will really be.

Then, after we've been treated to a reprise of that audition visit, we get to revisit the Hawaii auditions, where we first met both Diana and Jasmine.  I'm trying to remember who else we met in Hawaii, other than the pancake-wielding Camile.  I think it was Lisa Wilson, the one with the mouth big enough to drive a car through.   Great.  I'd hoped to never see her again.  I wonder where Lisa Wilson is?  My guess:  a hot tub somewhere with that Alan "I'm way too sexy for this show" guy.  But why am I wondering?  I don't even care where she is as long as it's not on my television.

And life gets even more rewarding, thanks to FOX!!  Thank you FOX.  On Sunday, beginning at 9 p.m., we get a retrospective of the first three seasons of this "phenomonem" called American Idol.  Highlights from all three seasons.  A highlight reel.  I'm trying to catch my breath.  Please give me a moment.....

Okay, five nights ofIdol this week.  Holy Paradise Batman, can it get any better?  It could get better, if the geniuses at FOX would consider it.

One sure winner for the bleak summer ratings months.  Show the reruns of the entire seasons of AI one and two.  Every single show.  In order.  Skip the auditions if time is limited, and go right to the good stuff.  It beats reruns of Friends or any other of those syndicated series found on any channel at any time of day.  People who love the show now might never have seen season one or two.  Or maybe they just caught portions.  And yet, we have seen Christina Christian, Clay Aiken, Tamyra Gray, Josh Gracin, Ruben Studdard, Kimberley Locke, Julia DeMato and I hope I didn't miss anybody either in the audience or on stage throughout this season.  I would be willing -- very willing -- to wager that repeats of these seasons will bring in scads of current viewers, longtime viewers who just want to revisit good memories and bring in new viewers who wonder why on earth this show is so captivating.

Are you listening big people at FOX??  I want repeats!

Am I totally off base here?  Does anyone agree?

 

No comments: