Thursday, May 27, 2004

someone pass the aspirin ... it's american idol hangover time

Well, the American Idol competition has concluded, and the American Idol hangover is just beginning.  It's time to reflect upon the season we're still reeling from and to consider next season and the seasons to come.  If there are any.

And it's already begun.  Linda Holmes, commenting for MSNBC.com, has an interesting analysis.  She contends the show is starting to stale around the edges, and proposes some changes to regain the freshness she thinks it has lost in its young history.

I concur with parts of her argument and dissent with other parts (sometimes strongly).  I adamantly disagree with her suggestion for new judges.  Even though I sometimes want to shove a Coke glass down Paula's throat, to replace her would give me no one to complain about.  I also take issue with her partial attack on theme nights, but I do agree that the theme nights need to be much more broad in scope, as opposed to putting these kids through the aural wringer just to accommodate an artist who is willing to sit in a judge's chair for one hour.  (Gloria Estefan week was just too much, even for me, but Big Band week gave the kids a massive library of choices.)

I totally agree that the voting process needs overhauling, because some of us have come to the conclusion that at the end of the competition, when the field has been whittled down to a handful or less, it is futile to pick up the phone to even try because the lines are so jammed by callers, many who have yet to earn a driver's license.

And I say a hearty Amen to her Jennifer Love Hewitt diatribe.  And yes, I agree, Jasmine was wretched.  But she kind of sounds that way on the same song on the CD too.  So maybe there's something we don't know.  Or maybe she just needed some Pips.  You can't do that song without a Pip or three.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

No comments: