Saturday, May 15, 2004

well i went and done it

Yep, I did.  I didn't plan on it.  I even said I wouldn't do it.  Not this time.  Not this year.  But I did.  I bought the American Idol Season Three CD:  Greatest Soul Classics.  I told everyone that I just didn't like this season as well as the previous ones, and so why would I want to buy the CD of all of them?  I've given it a couple of listens.  Here's my verdict:  I'm glad I bought the thing.

Now, there are a few tracks that I can go the rest of my life without hearing, but overall, it's really good.  Dare I say it?  It's better than the others...overall.  The others were worth it for a few tracks:  Kelly, Tamyra, Clay, Ruben, Kimberley...all the usual suspects.  But this one is worth it for virtually all of them.  Even some surprises!  It's really that good.

Now the tracks I would scratch if I could are, again, the ones I would expect:  Leah (Lord I had almost forgotten about that child), Camile and JPL.  (JPL's version of My Girl almost made me wish to hear John Stevens' -- almost.)  And then there's the obligatory ensemble piece:  Ain't No Mountain High Enough.  I really don't think one can, in all good conscience, call it an ensemble, though.  It's just a assemblege of solos.  (It really is a shame that this year's batch can't put together an ensemble number like last year's.)  But, honestly, four regrettable tracks out of 13 is pretty good.  And some people may like Camile's studio effort.  Not me.

I had some surprises, though.  Of course Fantasia and LaToya do well with theirs.  Shocker!  But who surprised me the most?  Several of them.  I know that I'm prejudiced, but the CD was worth the price alone for Amy's You Make Me Feel Brand New.  Beautiful!  And George with Me and Mrs. Jones.  Splendid.  Okay, those are my faves, so I would be expected to drool over those tracks.  But they really are wonderful.

Diana I didn't recognize you!  You sound like Aretha...or Gladys...or Fantasia.  Get this girl in a studio now.  Screw the show.  And John Stevens.  Keep working on that voice.  You should have chosen Youare Everything on soul night.  Very well done! It is sweet and light and refreshing. [My God, I sound like a 7UP commercial.]  And, probably the biggest shocker -- now this is gonna KILL me to admit -- I love Matt Rogers' (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay. I was so bummed that George didn't record it that I almost didn't play it.  Matt, if you had performed like that you'd still be on the show.  (But, lest we forget, the studio can play absolute magic with a singer's voice.  Right Britney?)  Jennifer's Neither One of Us is a good cut as well, but no surprise there.  Jasmine's Midnight Train to Georgia is not a must skip or must hear.  It's just kind of there.  I put it near the skip category.

So there it is.  A music review from a music know-nothing.  But I know what I like. And what I don't.

I wonder if Rolling Stone is hiring.

No comments: