Tuesday, March 8, 2005

early observations on the "girls" ...

Last night it seemed, with the guys, that each performance was (usually) better than the ones that preceded it.  I knew that hoping for a repeat was foolish, but I hoped nonetheless.  I was right.  It was foolish.

I haven't subjected myself to the rewind and repeat, and I doubt that I will, but here are my initial reactions, again subject to revision and, as usual, from worst to first.

Janay Castine.  For the love of God and everything that is holy and pure, will you people stop voting for this child!  And Paula, if you dare continue to urge her deluded fans to vote, there will be no one but you to blame if your makeup kit mysteriously disappears.  I don't know what song she attempted to sing.  I do not care.  I want her gone.  Yesterday.

Amanda Avila.  You are not Tina Turner, so why you chose River Deep, Mountain High is beyond me.  You really are in a battle to escape the bottom two, and I think that performance was a white flag.  Well, at least Simon wants to be your microphone, so you don't leave empty handed.

Mikalah Gordon.  The judges must really have an agenda for you.  You made a fatal error taking on a song that Latoya London made hers last year.  Somewhere is a beautiful, wonderful ballad from a great musical, but I fear I will never again hear it without thinking of the clunkers I heard from you throughout it this evening.

Lindsey Cardinale.  I keep forgetting you're in this competition, and tonight's performance is probably one of the reasons.  Simon is right.  There is just something so intangibly missing from you, even though you really do have the chops to be memorable.  You just always miss the mark.  And, because I Don't Want to Miss a Thing, two country finalists are really all we need.

Carrie Underwood.  Because You Love Me?  Is that the name of the song you sang?  Keep this up and you can change the tense from present to past.  That was technically fine, but emotionally void.

Vonzell Solomon.  You musta read my mind.  Or my blog.  Forget Alicia.  Embrace Aretha!  And I don't care what Simon said, I loved your boots.  And, while you missed a few notes here and there, I Respect your performance, and think you deserve to continue.

Nadia Turner. You seem to be avoiding lyrically-challenging songs, and, while I enjoyed your version of Try a Little Tenderness, the repetitiveness of lyrics in your last two choices is just getting on my nerves.  But I've loved you since the start.  That hasn't changed.  But I do want to know what Bratz doll you mugged for that outfit. 

Jessica Sierra.  I had high hopes when I realized they had you last.  They always reserve the best performance for that slot, and you didn't let anybody down.  I don't understand the hoopla surrounding Carrie, when they've got the country star right here.  You rock, Jessica.  And I think you will hold your own even next week when the Boys are Back.

Who should leave and who will?  I'll get back to you on that.

Who's on your hit list?

 

No comments: