Saturday, March 5, 2005

memories and masterpieces...

There has been so much buzz online since Monday's electrifying performance by Bo Bice.  And there has been equal amount of buzz about fairness, airtime equality leading up to the semi-finals and discrimination by the producers against the contestants who remain hidden in the closet until the episode immediately preceding the beginning of live competition.

Bo didn't get the amount of airtime that Constantine, Scott or Mario received.  And yet, with two dynamic performances, especially Monday's, he has not only placed himself solidly in the final 12, but, rightfully, is one of the favorites to make it through to May.

The producers didn't manufacture that.  Bo Bice did it himself. 

I've watched Bo's performance many times since Monday.  It just refuses to get stale.  I consider it one of the best five musical moments in Idol history.  Here it is if you would like to see it.  (If you're on dial-up, you might want to right click/save target and save it to your own computer.  It will be a long download, but it will play perfectly for you and, if you're a Bo fan, it's worth keeping.)  
Whipping Post.

Naturally, if I'm trying to decide if that performance falls into my personal top five, I had to reflect upon the five that were my favorites until now.  It's always fun to remember back to seasons past, the contestants I loved, the ones who made me cringe and the ones I wanted to just punch.  Everyone has favorite moments.  Here are mine, with the mp3 files attached.

From season one, while I had enjoyed Kelly Clarkson, I didn't love her until Big Band Night when she took on
Stuff Like That There and left me with a mouth gaping wide open in awe of her magic.  And, of course, Tamyra Gray stopped the audience, the judges and most of America when she tackled Burt Bacharach's A House is Not a Home.

Season two was my favorite competition, and it is hard to choose one particular moment.  Two Clay Aiken performances immediately come to mind, though.  Probably the single most awesome Idol performance for me was during Bee Gee's Night when Clay performed To Love Somebody.  It would be nearly impossible for any contestant at any time to match that.  If I had to choose the second moment, it would be Clay's final one, after a dreary finale, when he and the choir rejuvenated Bridge Over Troubled Water.

And from season three, who else?  Fantasia Barrino singing Summertime.  Holy movie tunes, Batman.  Did anyone doubt this woman's vocal chops after that one?

Those are my favorite Idol memories.  What are yours?

 

No comments: