Monday, March 28, 2005

it's speculation, but it's still fun...


Rumors are all over the map regarding tomorrow's theme.  Speculation ranges from TV show theme songs -- Here's the story, of a lovely lady... -- to disco to one hit wonders.  If they won't tell us, then all we have is the guessing, and they're stripping away our opportunity to come up with our own fantasy Idol nights.

So, because I don't know, I'm going to make my fantasy of my fantasy Idol night.  (And I hope that made sense, because I know what I'm trying to say, and that last sentence confused me.)  But I enjoyed creating my Billboard #1 list, I decided to play again, complete with clips, courtesy of amazon.com.

Disco.  What do I want them to sing if it's disco?  I don't.  Want.  Disco.  And it's MY fantasy.  So there.

But, one hit wonders?  Now we're talking fun.  Some of my all-time favorite tunes were one hit wonders.  So, I'm hoping the producers will take the hint, and give us a full hour of some of the best music ever to hit the airwaves.

A one hit wonder is defined as an artist's first appearance on the charts, a song that reached a level that particular artist was never able to replicate with any other song.  Need a list to refresh your memory? 
Here t'is.

Now for my fantasy.

Anthony, would you consider
Elusive Butterfly, a 1966 hit for Bob Lind?  It's such a pretty song.  Or, if you must, you could explore one of those actor-turned-singer songs, like She's Like the Wind, straight from Patrick Swayze and Dirty Dancing in 1987.

Thank you Anthony.

Hey Carrie, why not try
Angel of the Morning, a stunning song by Merrilee Rush and the Turnabouts in 1968? (Even though the only clip I could find was Juice Newton.) No?  Then you must consider Debby Boone's only hit, You Light Up My Life, a #1 movie hit from 1977.

Nadia, you have some making up to do after the rooster/Cyndi Lauper disaster last week, so I want to hear Alive and Kicking's 1970 hit,
Tighter, Tighter.  But I suppose I won't throw tomatoes if you select to sing Goldfinger a 1965 hit by Shirley Bassey. 

Bo, Bo, Bo, Bo Bo.  You need to rock the stage this week.  No more ballads, okay?  Not in my fantasy.  You will sing a song just for me.  And it will be
My Maria, a 1973 hit by B.W. Stevenson.  You can change the lyrics to My Jennifer, if you want, but you don't have to.  But, I would be okay with Frijid Pink's House of the Rising Sun, from 1970, even though I prefer The Animals' version considerably, but The Animals were not one hit wonders.  (The clip is by The Animals.)

And Scott, my man.  One song, from 1971. 
Smiling Faces Sometimes, by The Undisputed Truth.  You will rock that song.  But one of my favorites is Shame, Shame by The Magic Lanterns, from 1968.  Sing that, and I'll vote for you for two hours straight.  Promise.

Okay Constantine, you will either slow it down with
Precious and Few, one of my faves from 1972 by Climax or you will jazz it up with The Night Chicago Died, by Paper Lace from 1974.  And that's an order.

Vonzell, I've chosen for you
Get Here, from 1990 by Oleta Adams, even though everyone will say "Justin...Justin..."  I say Justin who, and it's my fantasy.  But I think you will shine singing the 1969 hit More Today Than Yesterday by Sprial Starecase.  So either's fine by me.

Anwar my husband. 
Wildflower by Skylark from 1972.  Please. 

Jessica. 
Lay a Little Lovin' On Me, from 1970 by Robin McNamara.  Get some boy background singers.  And dye your hair pink.  I miss the pink.

And Nikko, I didn't forget about you, even though I tend to.  You will sing
I've Found Someone of My Own by The Free Movement in 1971.

Thank you all.  I will be very happy.

No comments: