Monday, March 7, 2005

early observations...

The men just continue to amaze and amuse me.  It was a good show again, and I listened intently:  at no time did Ryan say we would know the top six.  I am holding out hope that only one of the eight will leave.

I have not given myself the opportunity to rewind and rewatch.  These are my first impressions, as always, subject to review and revision.  And, as always, from worst to first.

Travis.  Geesh.  Did you just want to leave?  You were adorable in your gray Guys and Dolls get-up, but being in tune or, at least, somewhere near would have been preferred.  Goodbye Travis.  Your smile is adorable.

Scott.  One of my absolute rules to proceed is staying far away from selections made in previous years by well-known and beloved contestants who pretty much own the song now.  You broke the rule.  And you chose a song that didn't even get Clay a whole lot of praise for.  You wanted to show off your vocal range with "Sugar Pie Honeybunch?"  [Screwed that up originally, thinking of another Clay performance, hence the comment below.]  Vocally it was fine, but your continued attempts to be cool, even when it is obviously uncomfortable for you, really was uncomfortable tonight.  And, as a fan, it hurts me to say that.  You could have chosen such a better song.

Anthony.  First off, who spilled all the paint on your jacket, son?  Your performance will be enough to continue, but it just left me a bit unaffected.  Maybe I was missing something.

Constantine.  I liked the song, despite Simon's bizarre commentary.  Randy was right.  It was the best from you yet.

Nikko.  I think you saved yourself a trip home tonight, even though I was really hoping for something a bit different.  I'm really looking forward to country night to see you in some jeans and butt-kicking boots.  And a big ole hat.  Yeah. 

Bo.  A ballad.  How nice.  And for your aunt?  How nicer.  Simon is right -- this is yours to lose.  You didn't lose anything tonight.

Mario.  I was hoping you would drop the Las Vegas act and just sing.  And, even though you broke my rule of staying away from songs too closely associated with past Idols, your "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart,"  while not as good as Ruben's, was quite pleasing.  And you showed me you're not quite as smarmy as I thought you were.

Anwar.  Oh baby baby.  Let's just say I'm gonna need a ladder to get my panties off of the television.  If you're what the middle schools are offering in the way of teachers today, I am flunking myself back to eighth grade.

Who should leave:  Travis.

Who will leave, if two leave:  Scott and Travis.

But two do not have to leave.  Only one.  Please.  Only one.
 

No comments: