Tuesday, February 22, 2005

early impressions (caution: spoilers)...

Six women into the show, and it's clear the women are going to outshine the men.  Of course, if I hear one more reference to them as "girls" I think I'm going to puke, but I fear I have a few more weeks of patronizing sexism ahead.  I will survive.

The women were better?  Yeah.  That's how bad the men were.

Here we go.

Terrific:

Carrie Underwood.  She's been one of my favorites since the beginning, and she didn't let me down.  Smooth vocals.  Emotion.  Nice song choice.  Everything a first round performance, which stores you credit in the bank, should be.

Nadia Turner.  I loved that she shunned the cocktail dress and went with comfort.  She is the individualist in this female group, and she neeeds to play that up for all it's worth.  Great use of the stage, beautiful vocals.  I love this woman.

Almost terrific.

Jessica Sierra.  I don't like "Against All Odds" and the judges don't as a rule.  (Ask George Huff.)  But she slowed it down a tad and, while I was sick of the ballads, proved why I chose her as a final six pick.

Aloha Mischeaux.  It's not fair that we've not been given the opportunity to get to know her, and she needs to shed the slutty clothing (not on air, though, please!), but her upbeat, audience-grabbing performance was such a great break from the ballads, she deserves more than an okay.

Okay.

Vonzell Solomon.  You were firmly in the ouch category, but there are no vacancies now.  Heatwave is an overused song in this show, and there are more songs out there.  It was safe, boring and quite forgettable, but you were, at least, in tune.

Sarah Mather.  Diana DeGarmo overdid the "C'mon everybody" crap.  I hated it then; I hate it now.  Stop it.  It's their feet.  If they don't wanna get up on them or clap or any of that crap you're commanding them to do, they don't hafta.  Stop it.  Now.  You caught crap for your vocals, but they weren't that bad.  But you can choose a better song.

Melinda Lira.  You would have been in the lower category had the others had better performances.  But here's my rule.  Don't sing Celine Dion, unless you're Celine Dion.  You can't do it.  I don't care who you are or how much confidence you have in yourself.  Don't do it.  Stop it.  Now.

Celena Rae.  What is your name, anyway?  I didn't like the song.  But you weren't off key that I could detect.  Actually, had there not been so many ladies in the ouch category, you would have been there.  Lucky you.

Lindsey Cardinale.  I've heard you sing, and you are not as bad as you were tonight.  Therefore, I'm cashing in on some of those chips you've been lucky enough to store with me.  Don't disappoint me.

Ouch.

Amanda Avila.  Why must everyone sing this dang song?  There are a few other songs out there.  Even ballads.  I am so sick of this song.  I don't care how you're going to live without him or her.  I don't care.  Don't sing this song again.  Ever.  Stop it.

Janay Castine.  What can I say about Janay.  Uhhh.  Ouch.  1-866-IDOLS-NOT HER.

Mikalah Gordon.  What is it with your need to be Fanny Brice?  I don't understand the judges accolades.  You were off-key.  The Brooklyn accent is old.  It's tired.  Calm down.  You do have personality.  You do have stage presence.  You do annoy.  Geesh.

There it is.  What are your impressions.  And who's gonna get drop-kicked to the curb?


No comments: