Monday, February 21, 2005

early impressions... (caution: spoilers)

Well, was that worth waiting for?

I'm not quite certain, but it was a typical first night of true competition.  Nerves, small audience, live cameras.  Whatever it is, it always seems as though the semi-finals bring out the worst in so many contestants.  It's one of the advantages to the new format of giving the kids (except for four, of course) three weeks to get their legs, rather than giving them a pass or a pink slip based on one performance.

First impressions without the advantage of watching it again:

Terrific

Bo Bice.  I agree with the judges.  It was the perfect song for you.  It's a great song, and you performed it quite nicely.

Anwar Robinson.  Moon River is a classic song, years away from the boy band songs, and you gave it a fresh twist. 

Almost terrific

Nikko Smith.  I agreed with Simon at first, that, while it was a good vocal performance, I would forget it three singers in.  Unfortunately, because the others were less than great, I didn't forget it.  But can we have a moratorium on Stevie Wonder songs next week, please?

Judd Harris.  I don't care what the judges say.  You exuded fun.  You are this year's JPL.  The only difference is that you have talent.

Mario Vazquez.  Stage presence like none of the others, but I wasn't quite as thrilled with the vocals as the judges were.  But, in light of the others, and in the immortal words of Mary Roach, not too shabby.

Okay

Scott Savol.  With all of the songs in the world, why you chose a ballad baffles me.  You're not a teen idol, so don't try to pretend like one.

Anthony Federov.  What was that song?  You're taking this Clay thing a bit too far.

Constantine Maroulis.  What was that song?  Bo beat you tonight, and you know and I know there's only going to be one rocker slot open.  But you had that crowd eating out of your hand.

Joseph Murena.  Another ballad, eh?  It's agreat song, and you gave it justice.  And it probably would have worked well in about three weeks.  But tonight it was just boring.  But not boring enough to merit your dismissal.  I want to hear more.

Ouch

Travis Tucker.  Travis, it's been less than an hour since you performed, and I can't remember what song you sang.  But I remember it bored me.  Ouch.

David Brown.  David, it was three-quarters through the song before you found the right key.  That was terrible.  Ouch.

Jared Yates.  What was that song.  Simon called your performance a ghastly boy band audition.  I agree.  Ouch.

No comments: