Friday, February 11, 2005

episode eight...

Oooooo baby, baby...

What can be said about the group performances that wasn't said about the Hollywood prelims?  I like the group show.  It shoves the kids out of their private comfort zones and can really shine light on their strengths (teamwork) and weaknesses (irresponsibility). 

Plus it's usually just a hoot watching them try to be the Supremes.  Or watching Dezmond Meeks turning Constantine Maroulis into a freaky Temptation.

And watching Scott Savol and his groupmates grapple through their love/hate relationship was hysterical.  Almost as funny as Elizabeth Pha (remember fishnet girl?) reasoning with her girls how learning the song isn't as important as knowing how to sing.  [My question to you fishnet girl:  if you don't know the song, what good does it do to know how to sing?]  Well sweetie, you can sing all you want now, cause there are no more songs for you to learn! 

The kids should have learned a couple of lessons at this point.

* Choose songs with mono-syllabic lyrics, cause there are few songs out there with "ooooooooooooo" and "yeahhhhhhhh" as their only words.

* Parents are a pain and should be left at home.


 

*Abraham Lincoln did write the Gettysburg Address on the train to Gettysburg, but he was working alone.  In other words:  see rule one.  (I am thrilled, however, that Kurtis Parks, John Zisa, and Jamie Koehler advanced despite remembering exactly five words between them on Jump, Shout Boogie, one of the most difficult Manilow songs there is.  It was a priceless moment in AI history.)

* Anytime Paula and Simon get into a verbal tussle, just chill, cause that's what gets the ratings.  [Note to producers:  next time bitch slap both of them.  That will get even higher ratings.]

By this time next week, we'll have our top 24.

Here's my list.  I lost one pick -- one of the rockers -- but he deserved to go and was the least of my favorites.  I've added two new ones.

The Women:

Nadia Turner -- she's just a terrific package.
Rashida Johnson -- if she can sing that well sick, imagine her well.
Sarah Mather -- she impresses me more with each snippet I hear.
Carrie Underwood -- I'd be willing to predict a top 10 for her.
Lindsey Cardinale -- I didn't like her at first.  Last night changed that.
Vonzell Solomon -- beautiful girl with a beautiful voice.
Jennifer Todd -- I still think this show can handle a non-Barbie girl.
Mikalah Gordon -- she should make it through on spunkiness alone.
Rachel Leslie -- she has a lovely voice.

The Men:

David Brown -- if only I were 20 years younger.
Scott Savol -- my favorite, my favorite, my favorite
Anwar Robinson -- why didn't my teachers look like that in junior high?
Mario Vazquez -- now I understand why he's getting so much attention
Anthony Federov -- wow.  The Clay fans will love him.
Ross Williams -- half of the John Stevens fans will love him.
Jamie Koeller --  the other half will love
him.
Constantine Maroulis -- he did the Box Tops proud
Bo Bice -- great voice, cute guy, love the hair
Aaron Kelly -- the third of the rockers.  The judges willwant all three in the top 48.  ELIMINATED
John Zisa -- The judges love him.  I do too.

 

 

No comments: