Monday, February 28, 2005

early observations (caution: spoilers)


Now THAT is what I call a show.  I don't know if I've ever watched an episode of American Idol and not called any performance wretched.  There were a couple that could have been better, but none of the cringe-worthy variety.

Here are my rankings, from worst to first, but with little commentary because it's late, I have to work in the morning, and I still have to vote.  Just need to decide for whom.

10.  David.  It was your second chance.  It was boring.  The judges were right when they told you that you haven't lived up to your audition promise. 

9.  Joe.  One thousand percent better than last time and, had the others tripped on the stage, you might be higher in the rankings.  Better doesn't always mean great.  Good just wasn't good enough tonight.

8.  Constantine.  Even I was able to detect your off-pitch moments, and I don't even know what pitch means exactly.  I liked last week's vocals better, despite what the judges said.  But it wasn't close to being my favorite of the night.

7.  Travis.  Nice vocals.  Nice dancing.  Nice smile.  You bought yourself a reprieve, I think.

6.  Scott.  I would love to choose your songs.  You are not a romantic-looking guy, but you sing like an angel.  The look and the songs just aren't meshing.  But you are looking more and more terrific.

5.  Mario.  Your showmanship hides a lot of vocal flaws.  But entertainment is the name of the game, so you're doing fine.  Just quit bossing around the audience.  They'll clap if they want.  They'll dance if you make them want to.  You telling them too is irritating.  And distracting.  And so DeGarmo-ish.  But I like the new hat.

4.  Nikko.  I want to get it on now too.  That was great.

3.  Anwar.  You can sing Marvin Gaye too.  Any day of the week.  Every day of the week.

2.  Bo.  You made me like that.  I feel so....young.

1.  Anthony.  You had me worried at first, but that killer note did me in. 

To be honest, I could mix up one through four and be happy with whichever name got drawn first.  It was that good of a show. 

Who should leave:  Joe and David.
Who will leave:      David and Joe.

No comments: